The Big Ten has primary television contracts with ESPN and FOX Sports and a secondary TV contract with the Big Ten Network (BTN), a FOX Sports Media Group & Big Ten joint venture.ESPN Rights Notes
- 27 total games.
- All intraconference games must air on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.
- Non-conference games can air on ESPNU.
- At least six games in primetime on ABC or ESPN.
- 24-27 total games to air on FOX & FS1.
- Up to nine games per season will air in primetime
- FOX will air the conference championship game every season.
- FOX Sports will have the first choice of the weeks they want the top choice of games.
Every Big Ten school must make two appearances on BTN. At least one of those appearances must be from a conference game.
The rights deals with ESPN and FOX Sports end after the 2022-23 athletic year. BTN's rights deal expires after the 2031-32 athletic year.
For the pandemic affected 2020 season, the conference initially decided to forego playing football in the fall, but reversed cource and started their conference-only season on 10/24. Each team will play nine games, which encompasses eight games plus a crossover game using the league standings.
Source: MattSarzSports Blog, Big Ten Pandemic Plan